Illustration by Juan Palomino (MX) Book: “Cajita de fósforos” Ediciones Ekaré (2020)
Submit your proposal by 5.3.2022
Kulttuurikeskus Ninho invites artists, researchers and other professionals in the fields of education, arts and culture, of different origins and experiences, residing in Finland, to send their proposals for activities to be part of the program of Kolibrí Festivaali 2022.
Kolibrí is the meeting place of arts, science, languages, creativity, visibility and childhood. Kolibrí will take place from 22.09.-01.10.2022 in Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa.
The theme of Kolibrí 11th edition
Ode to Bewilderment
Let us celebrate the right to bewilderment, uncertainty, unease and hesitation and the enthusiasm these awaken. Let us praise bewilderment as a guide to childhood times, as a link to nature, science, culture and to the years of learning, teaching and unlearning in order to return to the state of curious bewilderment.
Let us celebrate bewilderment as linked to the living organism that is our cultural, natural and scientific patrimony. Let us cheer for the time of attempts and the collective space where visions and dialogs are amplified, where the arts, creativity and information meet, where curiosity and community flourish since the beginning of time.
We are looking for proposals which stimulate the understanding of the reality with its diverse, pluralistic and uncertain perspectives. Proposals highlighting the strong bonds with the lively and less lively communities to which we belong in this world that is our home.
The application period ends on March 5th 2022, at midnight. Even though the form is in English, it may be filled out in English, Spanish or Portuguese.
We are looking for proposals in line with the objectives and methodology of our festival that respond to the 2022 theme. We will select proposals destined to plurilingual and diverse children and their families.
The Kolibrí program combines a number of activities, ranging from ancestral, artistic and cultural expressions to the most recent advances in technology and sciences. Therefore, we accept proposals from the following disciplines and combinations thereof: literature, graphic art, visual arts, design, architecture, music, dance, theater, circus, science, culinary culture, among others.
The format can be
- Short workshop (60 min)
- Non-stop workshop (180 min)
- Performances (60 min): storytelling, spectacles, theater pieces, concerts, etc.
Kulttuurikeskus Ninho covers the compensation of those selected as follows:
- Workshops: 70€/h per artist (including social security costs) max. 2 artist per workshop.
- *Performance: 200€ per artist (including social security costs) max. 3 artist per performance.
- *Concerts: 200€ per artist (including social security costs) max. 4 artist per performance.
Moreover, we offer financial support for the cost of materials (within reason) and we’ll cover the space as well as both equipment and technicians of sound and light. Unfortunately, we don’t have the necessary means to cover travel costs to Helsinki, nor the rental of any kind of equipment.
* After reading all the application forms, we would like to schedule an online meeting with at least one of the members of the group to understand better how the presentation works and what are the requirements. Please, pay attention to the information sent by: [email protected]
Kolibrí Festivaali is a new way to experience and to create children’s culture with the diversity in Finland as the starting point. The purpose of the Festivaali is to offer a safe and positive space for enjoying quality time with family, for learning about the arts, science and culture, and where dialog, mutual respect and understanding exist from the earliest childhood.
Methodological pillars of the Kolibrí program
- Intergenerationally: children enjoy and learn together with adults and seniors.
- Plurilingualism: heritage languages are not a secret; they are a cultural asset for learning.
- Accessibility: all and sundry are welcome and respected as they are; all can participate in, and enjoy the activities without fear of discrimination.
- Diversity: the children, together with their families and the facilitators, participate in a program of activities that values the very characteristics that make them unique and special.
What do we mean by diversity?
Diversity means that differences relating to people’s identities are respected in a safe and positive atmosphere. In a society, diversity requires consideration and acknowledgement of all groups, as well as respect for, and learning from our differences. The differences can be based on, for example, gender, sexuality, social and economic status, age, physical appearance, disability, appearance, religion, language, cultural distinctions, ethnicity, political views or different ideologies and beliefs. (Culture for All, 2019).
- Families, in all their variants of love, coming from different realities, backgrounds and using different heritage languages.
- Differently-abled children, from 3 months to 10 years of age.
- Since 2018, members of the Kolibrí audience have identified over 10 different heritage languages being spoken in the public in addition to Spanish, Portuguese, Finnish, Swedish and English.
The proposals will be selected in accordance with availability of funds and depending on how well they meet the following criteria:
- Awakening the capacity for wonder, creation, enjoyment, experimentation and teamwork in children.
- Promoting values such as mutual respect, dialog and the richness of diversity.
- Linked with the 2022 theme.
- Favoring the active participation of family twosomes at the following ages:
- babies from 3 to 12 months or non-walking ones.
- from 1 to 4 years, toddlers.
- from 4 to 7 years, preschoolers.
- over 7 years, school-goers.
- Promoting an atmosphere of plurilingual participation: in Spanish and/or Portuguese, English, and/or Finnish and/or Swedish or combinations thereof. Other languages are also welcome.
- In areas of literature and music, our focus will be on these languages.
- Favoring sustainability, when it comes to the budget reasonable and realistic costs, usage of either recycled or low ecological impact and low-cost materials.
- All selected artists will participate in training workshops. The training sessions will follow Kolibrí’s methodology, provide tools not only to combat racism, but also to improve the original proposals as well as offer concrete ideas for inclusive actions. The workshops are planned to take place in May/June 2022, online.
We’ll grant special consideration to proposals promoting:
- the active participation of differently-abled children, of fathers as facilitators of program activities, of seniors together with toddlers as well as with children over 10 years.
- the participation of talent from the Kulttuurikeskus Ninho ry or other similar associations that can propose a plan of mutual cooperation.
- the capacity to recruit volunteers for the activity (NB: multilingual persons who assist in the activities as volunteers can receive a certificate of participation in areas such as art, sciences and translation).
- even if Kolibrí is a festival with Iberoamerican roots, proposals of artists and artistic expressions from other parts of the world are equally welcome.
- Till 5th March 2022 at midnight, complete the Application Form.
- The form is in English but can be filled out in English, Spanish or Portuguese.
- For the performances, please send pictures and links to your videos of previous gigs if available.
- On March 31st 2022, a preliminary list of the selected proposals will be published in our website www.kolibrifestivaali.org. Please, pay attention to the information sent by: [email protected]
- As soon as the financing has been confirmed, the final list of the selected proposals will be published.
- The results of the selection are definitive and indisputable.
All the information compiled is confidential and for the exclusive use of this selection. The audiovisual material, as well as opinions regarding Kolibrí will be used in social media for the promotion of the Festival.
More information: [email protected]