Multilingualism at home and school
Tuesday 26.09 from 6pm to 8pm
Caisa Kuulturikeskus Mikonkatu 17 C/Vuorikatu 14 Helsinki
What happens when we speak more than two languages at home? How can we support the plurilingualism of our children? What happens at kindergarten and at school?
We know that languages are learned by using them. The new Finnish curriculum for preschool and basic education specifies, as one of the objectives of education, to promote the development of multilingual competence of children. What does this mean? These are the different resources and skills that our children have in the domain of mother tongues and other languages and dialects. Thus, from day care, children are encouraged to use their entire linguistic repertoire while learning.
In the seminar we will talk about this and share the experiences of Hispanic / Luso and Finnish speaking families who also use a third language at home (Galician, Basque, Catalan, Guarani, English). On the other hand, we will disclose the latest initiatives of the community regarding this matter.
The III seminar’s goal is to offer information and proposals to develop children’s bilingualism besides a platform for spanish or portuguese speaking families to get to know each other and share experiences and initiatives.
Moderator: Tanja del Angel (Familia Ry)
- Jarna Piippo, a teacher at the Department of Modern Languages at UH, the mother of 4 Finnish/Angolan children.
- Marc Cerdà, father of two boys, 5 and 3 years old. We speak Finnish, Catalan and Spanish at home. Primary School teacher at Käpylä Comprehensive School.
- Gonzalo Hernández, Spanish speaking dad. Father of two children, 7 and 3 years old. At home we speak Finnish and Spanish. Professor at the Language Center of the University of Helsinki.
- José Jaquet, speaks Guarani / Spanish. Father of two children, 1 to 3 years old. At home we speak Spanish and Finnish. Chef.
- José Peralta, speaks portuguese and spanish. Two daughters 6 and 3 years old. At home we speak Portuguese and Spanish. Founding partner and technology director at a robotics company.
Seminary language: spanish and portuguese and in case of need translation to english into small groups.
Idea: Kolibrí Festivaali
Welcome! Free entrance.